The Federal Government says it has extended the search for the 110 students of Government Girls Science and Technical College (GGSTC), Dapchi, Yobe state, to neighbouring countries.
Lai Mohammed, minister of information, disclosed this in a statement issued in Abuja on Friday.
Mohammed said top security officials travelled to the north-east on Thursday “to add urgency to the search”, which has now been extended beyond the north-east theatre.
He listed the officials as Abayomi Olonisakin, chief of defence staff; Ibok-Ete Ekwe Ibas; chief of naval staff; Tukur Buratai, chief of army staff; and Lawal Daura, director-general of the Department of State Services.
“They joined the Chief of Air Staff, Sadique Abubakar, who had earlier relocated to the north-east, as well as the national security adviser (NSA), Babagana Monguno (Rtd), who has also visited the theatre,” the statement read.
The federal government had earlier released the names and other details of the 110 girls.
The panel set up by the government to unravel the circumstances surrounding the abduction of the girls was inaugurated on Thursday by the NSA.
Earlier in the week, there were reports that some of the girls had been taken to Niger Republic.