The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), organiser of the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME), has banned the use of wrist watches and pens during the conduct of its 2018 test.
The board’s Registrar, Prof. Is’haq Oloyede disclosed this to newsmen on the sideline of the sensitisation workshop for Computer Based Test (CBT) centre owners on Wednesday in Lagos.
According to him, the workshop was to appraise the registration and conduct of the 2017 examination.
“What we are doing here today is to appraise the registration and conduct of our past examination and we have taken some lessons from our experience.
“To this end therefore we have introduced some measures that will further add to the integrity of the registration process as well as the conduct of the examination proper.
“For instance, we discovered during the conduct of the last examination that some electronic devices such as pens, wristwatches and other devices were used to perpetrate examination malpractice.
“So, for next year, we have banned the use of wristwatches and pens by candidates and other persons in the examination hall.
“We are also going to introduce some detection devices to ensure that those who plan to cheat in the examination hall are frustrated, as we will also jam (communication network) of the centres,” he said.
Oloyede noted that the sale of the registration document for the 2018 UTME would commence before the end of November.
Meanwhile, The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board has said that it delisted about 72 designated Computer-based test centres for engaging in various acts of misconduct during the 2017 Unified Tertiary and Matriculations Examination held in different parts of the country.
The Registrar of JAMB, Prof. Ishaq Oloyede, disclosed this in Lagos at a meeting with the CBT owners and operators from the 36 states of the federation on Wednesday.
Oloyede said JAMB decided to delist the centres after it discovered that the operators extorted money from some candidates and engaged in other grievous actions, including an attempted rape in a particular case, during last year’s examination.
He said, “Some centres collected the sum of N1,000 from each candidate as entrance fee, while a worker in a particular centre attempted to rape a female candidate. We have delisted 72 of such fraudulent centres and banned some for life.
“We are dealing with the perpetrators at an individual level, such that they cannot even abandon the delisted centre to set up a new one in another name. We have sent their names to the Corporate Affairs Commission.”
The registrar noted that about 90 per cent of failures recorded in the 2017 UTME were due to the fraudulent activities of some CBT owners, adding that they would be held culpable if they failed to expose the bad eggs among them.