6 things to know about new IGP, Usman Alkali
President Muhammadu Buhari, on Tuesday, appointed Deputy Inspector-General, Usman Alkali Baba as the Acting Inspector-General of Police (IGP).
He replaces Adamu Mohammed who had his tenure elongated by three months in February.
Here are six things to know about the new police chief.
1. Alkali was born in 1963.
2. An alumnus of Bayero University, Kano and the University of Maiduguri, he is married with children.
3. Alkali joined the Nigerian Police in March 1988 and rose from the rank of Assistant Superintendent of Police to the rank of Commissioner on January 27.
4. He attended all courses mandatory at various ranks and also took extra courses like investigation, insurgency and counter- terrorism and traffic management.
5. A member of the International Association of Police, he is also a Fellow of the International War College.
6. He was in Kaduna as the Deputy Commissioner, Administration and in Abuja as the Deputy Commissioner, Investigation. Usman was in Ilorin as an Area Commander at a point and second-in-command in Ebonyi.
He later became an Assistant Commissioner (CID) in Kaduna