TheNigerian news portal is a citizen’s online publishing and broadcasting platform combined with patriotic zeal to usher in positive narratives about the image of our country and it’s citizens. The portal was inaugurated in the united kingdom in 2016 and has consistently demonstrated fair, unbiased and transparent reportage of evolving developmental issues across the globe and particularly feeding its international audience in the accurate, facts-filled and truthful reports in and around the globe. As to remain as giants of both online publishing and broadcasting. TheNigerian news has recently launched "Television Nigerian" currently streaming in social media platforms as a web-TV
Reconcile aggrieved PDP members, Saraki tells Diri;PDP to approach Supreme Court for review of presidential election ruling;Alleged killer of Remo Stars’ player arrested – Dapo Abiodun;Presidential committee wants alcohol adverts banned;EFCC re-arraigns Jonah Jang, cashier over N6.3bn fraud;Court dismisses assets declaration charges against Ekweremadu;Actor Jussie Smollet set to make first court appearance on new charges;Jubilation as Matawalle announces plan to build Olympic-size stadium in Zamfara;Chimamanda Adichie hosts Lupita Nyiong'o in Lagos for upcoming movie;'Mum sold her economy plane ticket for my primary school fees'- Yemi Alade;War Against Insurgency: Engaging controversial Chadian troops will be counterproductive – CALSER;EDITORIAL: For a total war on kidnapping;Gridlock: FCT bans early morning vehicle inspection;One feared dead as protest rocks Sagamu over death of Remo Stars’ player;Why my deputy cannot be sacked over alleged certificate forgery - Diri;Presidency should return to South in 2023 - El-Rufai;Man dies in Onitsha after taking sex enhancement drugs;It is wrong to assume that Service Chiefs' sack will end insecurity - Bode George;Filmmaker Steven Spielberg 'embarrassed' at daughter's decision to become porn star, report says;Kaduna court resumes trial of El-Zakzaky, wife;Shock as Minister orders staffs to fast against Boko Haram attack;Shock as Minister orders staffs to fast against Boko Haram attack;Turmoil in Malaysia as PM Mahathir resigns;Faure Gnassingbe wins fourth term as Togo president;Oshiomhole must get my permission to visit Edo – Obaseki insists;Oshiomhole must get my permission to visit Edo – Obaseki insists;Ex naval officer forfeits N500m to FG;Ex naval officer forfeits N500m to FG;Don’t distract COAS, Buratai over Buhari's NSA/Chief of Staff face-off, former CP cautions;Don’t distract COAS, Buratai over Buhari's NSA/Chief of Staff face-off, former CP cautions

Musician Dammy Krane granted N50, 000 bail

- Advertisement -

0 139

By Bukola Olasanmi

An Igbosere Magistrate court in Lagos has granted popular Nigerian musician, Johnson Hunga Oyindamola, also known as Dammy Krane, bail in the sum of N50,000 with one surety in like sum.

The magistrate, A. F. O Botoku, also adjourned the matter till October 11 for the commencement of trial.

The musician had earlier pleaded not guilty to the three counts charge preferred against him by the police.

His lawyer, Adebayo Oniyelu, while applying for his bail, said the defendant is “a well-known musician who has not been convicted of any crime and this is the first time he will be accused of one.”

He also said the defendant would not interfere with the prosecution of the matter if granted bail, noting that Mr Johnson had been in prison custody since Friday.

Opposing the application for bail, prosecuting counsel J. I Enang said he ordinarily would not have objected to the application for bail if it were not a national issue.

When asked how the case was a national issue by Mrs Botoku, Mr Enang said it will all be revealed when the time comes. The magistrate insisted on knowing what the matter was and how it constitutes a national issue. In response, Mr Enang said the matter was all over the news already.

“Your Honour, while coming to court today, I already heard it on the radio that a musician is to be arraigned today, it is even an international issue. ”wits Advert

Interjecting, Mr Oniyelu informed the court that the case was one of breach of contract.

“The musician performed for the complainant and they are owing to him N1million. He reached out to them to request for his money which they refused to listen to him, he went on air to say they are owing to him and the next thing was his arrest.”

Mr Enang, however, told the court that the case is not as presented by the defendant.

“That is not so, the defendant went to a radio station and started threatening and defaming the complainant. In fact, we are going to amend this charge. This is an international threat. ”

When Mrs Botoku asked if he was aware of any debt issue or came across such during investigation, Mr Enang replied in the negative.

“I am not aware of any debt, no issue of debt came up during the course of investigation. ”

Advertisement

Akwa-ibom Advert

In response to the claim of debt owing, a representative of the complainant, Merrybet Gold Limited, who was present in court, Otemu Anaonye, said the company was not owing the musician any money and he was only making false claims to debt owing.

The counsel to the company who is also holding a watching brief in court on behalf of Merrybet, N. Anachebe, told the court they had written to Mr Johnson to withdraw his statements and he refused.

“We have written to him to retract the statements he made on his Instagram page to the effect of us owing him and he didn’t.”

Mrs Botoku asked if the crux of the matter was a case of defamation, and if so it should be filed as a civil case. But Mr Anachebe objected to the suggestion, stating that a case of defamation can be both criminal and civil.

“Your Honour, I know defamation can be both criminal and civil. ”

Mr Johnson is accused of making statements capable of breaching public peace and threatening the lives of staff of Merrybet Gold Limited on July 25, an offence that is said to be contrary to sections 301, 412 and 168 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State of Nigeria, 2015.

He is said to have released audio and video recordings containing contents capable of disrupting public peace. If found guilty, the prosecution said he is liable to three years in prison.

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept

Subscribe to our mailing list

close-link