Governor Jide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State has renamed the Onikan Stadium after former Lagos State Military Governor, Brigadier Mobolaji Johnson.
This is the 4th time that the 5000-capacity edifice which is one of the oldest in the country would be changed.
The original stadium was built in 1930 and six years later named after King George V. Between 1963 and 1973, it became known as the Lagos City Stadium and it was later known as the Onikan Stadium before Governor Sanwoolu renamed it.
Governor Sanwo-Olu disclosed the change of name during a ceremony at the stadium in honour of Brigadier Johnson who passed away recently.
Brigadier Johnson was the first governor of Lagos and he served as administrator of the Federal Capital (Lagos) from 1966-1967 and as governor of Lagos from 1967-1975.
The stadium underwent reconstruction during the administration of Governor Akinwunmi Ambode.