NIDCOM Condemns Mozambique’s Deportation of 40 Nigerians

40 of the 42 Nigerians who were detained and arrested for weeks in Mozambique have been deported, according to the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NiDCOM), which claims that the procedure violated their basic human rights.

The deportees were reportedly sent back to Nigeria in three groups as worries about their treatment in the Southern African nation grew.

The committee claims that on March 24, 26, and 27, respectively, batches of 13, 16, and 11 Nigerians were brought into the nation by Ethiopian Airlines and South African Airways flight SA60.

However, two of the detained Nigerians are still in Mozambique because of unique circumstances.

“Process Didn’t Follow Proper Procedure”
Abdur-Rahman Balogun, a spokesman for the commission, called the expulsion “inhumane” in a statement released on Tuesday.

Despite having legitimate identification, he said that the impacted Nigerians were arbitrarily detained, arrested, and deported.

Documents provided by the deportees indicated otherwise, despite reports that Mozambican authorities claimed immigration concerns.

Upon being received by NIDCOM officials in Lagos, a few of the returnees claimed that their money and other valuables were not given back when they were deported.

They further asserted that while they were detained, significant amounts were taken out of their mobile applications.

The panel also voiced worry over Mozambican authorities’ purported failure to inform the Nigerian Embassy of the arrests and imprisonment.

It also stated that attempts to step in by diplomatic authorities were apparently turned down.

Despite having legitimate resident permits, the 42 Nigerians were allegedly arrested at their various places of business.

Some of them insisted that they had fulfilled with all legal criteria to live and work in Mozambique and that the arrests had been made without warning.

They further said that before being processed for deportation, they were held for a number of days.

One of the two Nigerians who have yet to be deported is married to a citizen of Mozambique, and the other was born there.

In South Africa, Dabiri-Erewa Demands Calm
Abike Dabiri-Erewa, the chairman and CEO of NIDCOM, has advised Nigerians living in South Africa to maintain their composure in the wake of accusations of violence against certain people during a cultural celebration.

The Nigerian High Commission in South Africa was already looking into the event, she said, describing it as probably the result of “misconception and misinterpretation.”

Dabiri-Erewa urged everyone to exercise moderation and promised that after investigations are finished, the proper actions will be implemented.

The expulsion has not yet been officially announced by Mozambican officials as of the time this news was filed.

It is anticipated that the event will give rise to new worries over how foreign nationals are treated and how the nation’s immigration regulations are enforced.

Hon. Dr. Philip “Okanga” Agbese, a transformative leader in Enone. Discover his achievements, community projects, and vision for 2027

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Beylikdüzü Korsan Taksi