Killings Surge: Defence Minister Orders Shoot-on-Sight in North East, Unveils New Strategies

On Tuesday, Gen. Christopher Musa rtd., the Minister of Defense, gave troops in the Frontline the order to shoot terrorists on sight without waiting for additional orders.

Speaking to the troops in Maiduguri alongside Bello Matawalle, the state’s minister of defense, Musa said that the Nigerian military had already used new tactics to put an end to the insurgency in the northeast.

The visit comes after waves of attacks by Boko Haram and the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) in various villages in the area, particularly in Borno, according to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN).

“You are making enormous sacrifices—many people have been hurt and many have died. We are unable to fully reimburse you, but rest assured that we have taken note of your commitment.

“Your perseverance is appreciated by the President and all Nigerians. Remain focused, disciplined, and dedicated to completing the battle against banditry and terrorism.

The minister declared, “We must remain unwavering because our enemies do not wish us well.”

In order to enable the forces to carry out their duties with ease, he also declared that President Bola Tinubu has authorized the purchase of new planes and drones, among other things.

In order to avoid being weary, I would want to make an appeal to you. Please don’t let anyone try to persuade you to commit a crime. You have no business dealing with narcotics, ammo, or weapons; our job is to find and eliminate Boko Haram. Does that make sense?

“You don’t need to wait for someone to give you an order. No matter where you are sent, it is your responsibility to find out. You defeat them. Therefore, I don’t want to hear someone claim that he was awaiting an order.

“Our ultimate goal is enduring success; victory is fleeting.” Nigeria is stronger than any obstacle, and we won’t be discouraged by outside criticism,” Musa declared.

The minister emphasized that the Nigerian military was committed to securing the nation and maintaining its sovereignty with ongoing attention, new equipment, and international cooperation.

Nonetheless, he said that the military forces are doing quite well and that their sacrifices are significant.

“We have more wins than losses, and Nigerians should be proud of the tenacity and commitment of our armed forces in defending our country,” Musa declared.

However, the minister said that the federal government would implement the recently authorized compensation increases for military personnel during the next three months and that a three-month salary arrears would be paid right away.

“The sacrifices made by our troops—who leave their families behind and work tirelessly—deserve our recognition and support,” he said, urging Nigerians to keep supporting the military and not focus on their shortcomings.

“We must stand united in strength and encouragement, and the story of their bravery must be told accurately,” he continued.

The ministers had earlier visited Dr. Usman Kadafur, the Deputy Governor of Borno, to reassure the state authorities of the federal government’s commitment to bringing peace back to the state.

In response, Kadafur stated that the two ministers’ visit was an obvious indication of the federal government’s willingness to change security tactics in the battle against the northeastern insurgency.

Before leaving for Abuja, Musa also officially opened housing units for military officers at Maimalari Barracks.

Additionally, as it works to bring about long-lasting peace in the Plateau, the Federal Government has reaffirmed its commitment to protecting people and property throughout the nation, stating that Nigeria will not submit to criminal elements or violent acts.

This was revealed on Tuesday during a press conference in Abuja by the Honourable Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris, who was discussing the security situation in Plateau State in light of the recent incident in Angwan Rukuba, Jos North. “Nigeria won’t give in to criminal groups. The Minister declared, “We will defend our people and we shall win.

“Nigerians must prevent criminal elements from causing division within their communities. We must all cooperate to maintain peace and stability throughout the nation because Nigeria’s unity is still strong,” he continued.

In addition to offering condolences to the victims’ families, the government, and the people of Plateau State, the Minister voiced profound worry over the situation. He gave Nigerians the assurance that security forces reacted to the assault quickly. He said that while the military and other security authorities secured the area and began procedures to find those guilty, troops under Operation Enduring Peace were promptly deployed.

“These quick actions ensured that the situation was quickly contained and prevented further escalation,” stated Idris, adding that the response is a component of continuous efforts to improve security throughout the North-Central area and Plateau state.

According to Idris, intensified surveillance, army deployments, and joint military-police patrols have all helped the Federal Government maintain military and intelligence-led operations in communities that are at risk. These steps, he continued, are intended to keep things stable and stop more attacks.

Additionally, Idris reaffirmed that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s administration is still totally dedicated to tackling security issues by means of focused operations and strategic cooperation with security agencies. He revealed that in order to assess the situation and take additional decisive action, the President has already convened with senior intelligence and security officials.

In order to improve cooperation and guarantee a coordinated approach towards enduring peace, he added that His Excellency Caleb Manasseh Mutfwang, the Governor of Plateau State, has been invited for additional consultations.

In order to stabilize the situation and support ongoing operations, the Plateau State Government implemented a 48-hour curfew in Jos North, which the Minister accepted. He emphasized that state and federal officials are collaborating closely to help with investigations, prevent retaliation, and restore peace.

Idris called the attack “deeply regrettable,” but he clarified that it is a criminal crime in a conflict-prone area that is being actively addressed rather than a breach of national security. He gave Nigerians his word that the guilty would face justice. He declared, “There will be no safe haven for criminal elements anywhere in Nigeria.”

The Minister asked Nigerians to maintain their composure and obey the law while assuring them that the situation in Plateau State is under control. Additionally, he issued a warning against disseminating unsubstantiated information, pointing out that doing so could exacerbate tensions and jeopardize security initiatives.

He stated that in order to remain ahead of new threats and guarantee enduring peace across the country, the Federal Government will keep bolstering intelligence collection, operational preparedness, and interagency cooperation.

Another development is that, in the first quarter of 2026, the Defense Headquarters claimed major successes in its nationwide security operations, including the neutralization of multiple senior terrorist commanders, the arrest of 1,359 suspects, the rescue of 813 abducted victims, and the surrender of 197 insurgents.

At a press conference in Abuja, Major General Michael Onoja, Director of Defence Media Operations, said that the successes were captured in several theaters, including the North East, North West, North Central, South South, and South East.

The confirmed death of Abu Yahya Al-Muhajir, a senior commander of the Islamic State West Africa Province and a member of the group’s Shura Council, was one of the most significant developments, according to Onoja, who noted that this indicated the mounting pressure being applied to insurgent leadership structures.

According to Onoja, during the quarter, 274 suspects were arrested, 168 kidnapped victims were rescued, and 90 insurgents surrendered as a result of troops’ aggressive attacks on insurgents connected to Boko Haram, ISWAP, and other terrorist groups throughout the Northeast under Operation HADIN KAI.

He also revealed that in March, coordinated attacks in sections of Borno and Yobe states were effectively thwarted, and several prominent terrorist leaders were killed by precision airstrikes in Sambisa Forest.

Additionally, he said, forces blocked logistics supply networks, including fuel smuggling activities meant for terrorist use, and prevented attempts to infiltrate IDP camps.

According to the Defense spokesperson, Operation FANSAN YAMMA in the North West resulted in the rescue of 386 kidnapped victims and the arrest of 114 suspects. Additionally, troops dismantled terrorist enclaves, intercepted logistics suppliers, and captured a suspected gunrunner who was carrying ammunition toward Kaduna.

According to Onoja, operations under SAVANNAH SHIELD and ENDURING PEACE have neutralized terrorist elements, arrested suspects, and intercepted explosive items in the North Central region.

Additionally, he said, forces prevented attacks, saved individuals who had been kidnapped, and discovered advanced techniques used by thieves to move ammunition.

He claims that soldiers working under Operation DELTA SAFE stepped up their efforts to combat oil theft in the Niger Delta, demolishing 101 illicit refining facilities and recovering more than 547,000 liters of stolen petroleum products. Several suspects connected to kidnapping and illicit refining operations were also taken into custody.

Additionally, Onoja disclosed that UDO KA operations targeted criminal elements connected to the banned Indigenous People of Biafra and its armed wing. As a result, 91 suspects were apprehended, kidnapped victims were rescued, and improvised explosive devices (IEDs) were destroyed during clearance operations in the states of Imo and Anambra.

Impact on the Nation

Onoja summarized the impact across the country, stating that AFN operations in all theaters resulted in the recovery of hundreds of weapons and thousands of rounds of ammunition, the arrest of 1,359 suspects, the surrender of 197 militants, and the rescue of 813 kidnapped civilians.

He continued by saying that Olufemi Oluyede, the Chief of Defense Staff, had praised soldiers for their professionalism and tenacity while reiterating the military’s resolve to step up operations against crime and terrorism.

Onoja emphasized that public collaboration was still essential to maintaining the progress made thus far and urged Nigerians to continue being watchful and provide security authorities with timely intelligence.

Hon. Dr. Philip “Okanga” Agbese, a transformative leader in Enone. Discover his achievements, community projects, and vision for 2027

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Beylikdüzü Korsan Taksi