Nyesom Wike, the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, justified his continued support for President Bola Tinubu and his allies on Monday, saying his party, the Peoples Democratic Party, “appeared not to have learned.”
Wike reaffirmed that his choice to support the President was not new and had been made public in 2023 when speaking at a media parley in Abuja.
“Even as a PDP man, I told you in 2023 that I would work for the President. I did it because I think the other parties didn’t have any significant candidates, and I’m correct,” he remarked.
According to the minister, his political stance has not altered.
Wike criticized his party’s internal situation, claiming that it had not learned from its mistakes.
“I’ve stated on multiple occasions that, in my opinion, my party doesn’t seem to have learned. For this reason, I said that I would back Mr. President for a second term,” he stated.
He also criticized the party for not consulting him when choosing its candidates.
He said, “As a minister, my party did not consult me on the candidates they were going to present.”
The minister emphasized that, as long as candidates support the President’s reelection campaign, his support transcends party borders.
“I declared that I would back candidates who back Mr. President’s reelection. Whichever party they are a part of is irrelevant. Of course, I’ll set up camp with them if they back Mr. President,” he replied.
Wike emphasized that the process extends beyond the day of voting in his remarks regarding the conduct of the February 21, 2025, FCT elections.
“Elections are a procedure.” Candidates are nominated first, followed by campaigns, and voting is the last step. It’s not only about a specific day,” he remarked.
In addition, Wike addressed the controversy surrounding the movement restrictions that were announced prior to the FCT votes, stating that the decision was made for security reasons and with presidential consent.
“For security considerations, movement was restricted starting at 8 p.m. with the president’s approval. He explained, “It was to make sure that people didn’t bring troublemakers into the city to cause a crisis.”
He denied that the bill denied voters their right to vote.
Voting was conducted from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday, the day of the election. You can’t claim that people couldn’t cast ballots. “That’s not right,” he said.
In response to criticism regarding his attendance at polling stations, Wike stated that he behaved in accordance with his mandate.
“I have been given the authority. I have been granted some ability to act on behalf of the President,” he stated.
He denied that he had any influence over the results of the election.
“I wasn’t on the ballot. I never advocated against voting for any candidate. I only stated that I would back candidates who back Mr. President,” he remarked.
Wike emphasized his status as a politician in response to allegations of political meddling in municipal elections.
“I want to be clear that I am a politician. Politics is about winning, so that’s why I decided to become a politician,” he remarked.
He refuted claims of voting disenfranchisement.
“What does disenfranchisement mean? Does a party’s declaration that it is unprepared for an election prevent other parties from casting ballots? “People were not denied the right to vote, which is what disenfranchisement means,” he stated.
Wike urged those who had been wronged to pursue legal action in his closing remarks.
“Anyone should go to the tribunal if they are unhappy. Allow the tribunal to call off the election and, if need, mandate a new one. He stated, “The result won’t be different.
During the elections on February 21, the All Progressives Congress won five of the six chairperson posts in the Federal Capital Territory’s Area Councils.
The PDP won the chairmanship in Gwagwalada, while the ruling party declared victory in Abuja Municipal Area Council, Abaji, Bwari, Kwali, and Kuje.
Hon. Dr. Philip “Okanga” Agbese, a transformative leader in Enone. Discover his achievements, community projects, and vision for 2027